1. An applicant, Phil Morris, for a Small Business sales position with ADT/TYCO met with Michelle Bradford who informed the applicant that she felt there was too great an age difference between her, as manager, and him, as subordinate, so she refused to hire the highly qualified applicant. AGE DISCRIMINATION
1.1. The applicant later went to work in the CORE division at ADT where he had no experience. CORE Salespersons are assigned AREAS / TERRITORIES in which they focus their work activities and get all the calls / leads for new business & add-on sales to current ADT / TYCO customers. These sales often account for 50% - 100% of their sales / income. There were 18+ Salespersons in the office, all with built-in customers and daily leads. One Salesperson did not get a territory and never got any company leads … that was Phil. Phil had to "SELF-GEN" all of his sales while his "QUOTA" was the same as most other employees who were handed most of their sales via leads. This is another tactic used by ADT to get employees to resign. It appears that Phil was placed in this position to cover-up the AGE DISCRIMINATION of refusing to hire him for the Small Business position he had applied for . . . and the CORE position was "designed to fail."
THERE'S A SONG FOR THAT
2. Seasoned sales people, when they knew they were violating laws or policy, spoke of providing "PLAUSABLE DENIABILITY" for their managers, Rick Carroll and Kevin Mitchell, in an open sales meeting, apparently assuming everyone there was as dishonest as they were. Isn't it sad that there are those who seem to actually believe that you must operate in an unethical or illegal manner in order to succeed? That there are those who believe they must circumvent stated company policies and procedures to attain the goals set by the very company that established those policies and procedures . . . including the companies Code of Ethics? As they waste millions of dollars recruiting successful / honest associates only to ultimately lose them because they don't want to work in a toxic environment.
3. ADT required their employees to take an online study and test about company policy regarding ethics & harassment. Management had two people study & take the test and pass the answers on to other employees so they would not have to study and learn the material. This included telling certain employees to intentionally miss a couple questions to fool the company. YEP!! They actually cheated on the ethics exam. Management decided that it was not worth taking some time off from selling the companies products and services to learn about how the same company expected their employees to function while representing the company to the public while in the process of selling the companies products and services. Get the irony?
4. Managers routinely would WHITE-OUT information on applications / contracts. They would make a FAXED form look like an original, scan it into the system, and destroy the original. Check out the documents for American Hermetics from 2012 in Dallas, Texas.
5. A sales manager transferred from Nevada to Dallas and immediately went to work in violation of Texas licensing regulations. No license for months. In Texas, if you are not currently licensed in Texas, you have FOUR DAYS to submit your application, background, and finger prints. How difficult can it be to simple do what is supposed to be done to get an employee properly licensed? It's almost as if some people think you have to cheat on everything isn't it? Why? Did they know that he would not pass a background investigation? Did they not have a Qualified Manager in the office who knew the legal process of getting a new hire properly licensed? This guy worked for months in violation of Texas law. Mr. Wulforst started to work for Protection One in December, 2015 but was not properly licensed until April 21, 2016. Below is the evidence. Phil & Wulforst met on 2.12.16 about all the Code & Statutes Violations taking place in the office. Phil provided him and Morphew a list of specific deficiencies taking place in the Coppell, Texas office. He continued to work by managing and meeting with customers and future customers even after being informed of the exact Rules, Code, and Statutes he was violating but he did not seem to take it seriously. Phil could not continue to report to an individual who was known to be working illegally. Protection One's V.P. of the South Region, Robert Kerr, was also notified by EMAIL of everything Phil notified Wulforst & Morphew about. Phil actually interviewed with Kerr in Dallas prior to being hired and Kerr knew Phil held the QM License and Phil offered to work as the QM in the office. Kerr also failed to respond at anytime . . . and is today a VP of ADT. Should Phil have violated the law and looked the other way and not made waves? Or should he advise the company and contact the PSB & DPS of the unlawful activity and leave to avoid being associated with it? Phil, resigned on 2.15.16 under Constructive Discharge.
Wulforst Not Licensed but Managing an Office Wulforst is still in the Security Industry
5.1 Many former employees of ADT, Protection One, Johnson Controls, and TYCO have been told about the coming book and have made statements that will appear in the book and on this site after publication. It is amazing how many quality, productive, valuable employees these companies have lost in the past due to some of the very situations described herein. Additionally, others who have not come forward but who have knowledge of ADT's lapses in Ethics, Morality, and Legal Compliance include. They were likely questioned in 2012 when ADT / TYCO investigated themselves . . . and each probably skipped some truth to keep their jobs. Some later left ADT / TYCO. Unfortunately, some went to Protection One which was later merged into another company . . . ADT:
Wendy Edwards Angela Roberts Richard Schulman Mark Van Soestberg Mari Aufdermaul Roy Kisner Kevin Mitchell Festus Angaoha
Some don't take "SUBCHAPTER B PROHIBITIONS RULE §35.12 Permitting or Allowing Violations" very seriously do they?
5.2 Of course, we know why more employees don't come forward . . . they want to keep their jobs and income for their families. They don't want to experience the retaliation evidenced here against Phil Morris . . . even though each company promises that there will be no retaliation.
5.3 EXAMPLE: After leaving the Carrollton, TX office, Phil interviewed with Mr. Jim Stofer & applied for a position at Simplex-Grinnell (TYCO / Johnson Controls). Stofer indicated that he would welcome Phil and offered the position. After Mr. Stofer spoke with Rick Carroll (L), Phil's previous manager, the job offer was withdrawn. Retaliation! Speaking of "Compliance," according to the Private Security Bureau / DPS website regarding License Lookup, Stofer has never been licensed to work for TYCO, Johnson Controls, or Simplex-Grinnell. Do these companies not have Qualified Managers that are responsible for licensing of their employees . . . or do they just not care? SEE This is what his LinkedIn account says. SEE
THERE'S A SONG FOR THAT
5.3.1 In checking with the Private Security Bureau of Texas on 12/28/18, they show that the Qualified Manager for Johnson Controls is James Joseph Keller. According to Mr. Keller, he works as an Alarm Systems Installer and that his supervisor is Kevin Mitchel. It is unlikely that he actually meets all the following requirements to properly supervise the company in Texas . . . otherwise how did he miss that Stofer isn't even licensed to work for Johnson Controls? Makes you wonder how many people work for Johnson Controls in the Security Industry who have not passed all the background checks required to work in the SECURITY INDUSTRY in Texas. Any criminals getting knowledge about your "Security System?"
Sec. 1702.120. FALSE APPLICATION OF MANAGER. (a) An individual may not:
(1) serve as manager of an investigations company, guard company, alarm systems company, armored car company, courier company, or guard dog company; and
(2) fail to maintain that supervisory position on a daily basis for that company.
(b) An individual may not apply to the board to serve as manager of an investigations company, guard company, alarm systems company, armored car company, courier company, or guard dog company without the intent to maintain that supervisory position on a daily basis for that company.
5.4 Most memorable moments working for Mr. Carroll: (1) When he said the #1 trait he looks for in a Salesperson is "GREED" (2) When Phil handed him a FAXED in contract and Rick "WHITED-OUT" the borders to make it look like an original and instructed Phil to go scan it into the system as an original (3) When Phil told Rick that Michelle Bradford had just refused to hire Phil in small business because he was too old for her to work with and Rick did nothing (What would have happened if Phil had said that Michelle was to gay to work with?) (4) When Rick told Phil "I know where all the skeletons are buried at ADT / TYCO and I can get anything done that I want done."
6. Sales people were instructed on how to fool customers into thinking the contracts 90% cancellation provision did not really mean what it said. The objective was to get customers into a 60 month contract instead of a 36 month contract. The SCAM was to offer to lower the early termination charge from 90% to 60%, then tell the customer that it means that if they keep the service for 36 of the 60 months (60% of the term), since they paid for 60% of the term, there would be no early termination charges. What it actually meant was that if you kept the service for 36 months, you would still have to pay 60% of the balance of the term to terminate the service. Managements response: "The customers will never know it and won't remember what you told them in 36 months anyway." How many customers terminated contracts after 36 months only to find that they still owed ADT money … and ADT will collect it.
7. An office had no required "Qualified Manager" who was responsible for insuring that the State Regulations were carried out. So, they weren't. When confronted with this fact, management replied that ADT / Protection One decides who a "Qualified Manager" in the office is. The manager didn't even realize that a "Qualified Manager" in Texas is not someone the company just "says" is the manager. Of course he also did not even have a salespersons license at the time …. but he was managing an office of 30+ employees. A "Qualified Manager" is an employee of the company, one at each Branch Office who actually works there and knows what is going on, who has studied for the QM test, passed the QM test, is issued a QM license designation, and is held accountable by the State Regulators for the company being in COMPLIANCE with rules and regulations a manager would likely not even be aware of were he not a "QUALIFIED MANAGED." Phil is a …
Certified Qualified Manager. (DOCUMENT)
Here is the material covered by the QM test. Does ADT even know about this? This is unique to Texas.
SEE #2 #3 #4
It is unfortunate that ADT / P1 were not interested in taking advantage of Phil's experience, knowledge, training, expertise, and CERTIFICATION as a QM.
8. Employees, when told there was an investigation coming, were individually met with by the manager being investigated and advised of "how to keep your job." PROOF? There are audio tapes, thanks to a former ADT / TYCO employee.
9. The security company routinely substituted cheaper CCTV equipment on installations to increase profit margin.
10. When the security company was using sub-contractors to do installations, the company failed to disclose this in keeping with State rules and at times would give sub-contractors ADT company shirts to wear in order to fool customers into believing they were actual employees of the company. Ignorance may be bliss but it doesn't make illegal acts legal
11. The security company had a program whereby anyone could become a "Lead Generator" for ADT and be compensated just like an employee . . .
ADTpays.com. These people could therefore essentially be in the security industry … even if they could not pass the background investigations and fingerprint requirements. They were sometimes actually "assigned" to a specific salesperson and taught how to convince the public to use ADT.
See The Ad We Made Up Using The ADT System Available To Anyone
12. ADT & Protection routinely ran ads stating that they were giving away hundreds of dollars worth of "FREE EQUIPMENT" when in reality, in general, they increased the customers monthly monitoring fees to cover the cost of the "FREE" equipment. Often the actual contract would even state that the customer never owns the equipment … which they were given for "FREE."
13. Managers and employees would routinely sign or initial parts of contracts / agreements that were not properly done, rather than go back to the customer for the proper signature.
14. After bringing all of these violations and ethics failures to the attention of ADT & Apollo Global, ADT was unwilling to find a position within the company for Phil. It would appear that ADT does not want honest, ethical employees in the company. ADT did make some changes to the way they were doing some business advertising. No telling how many MILLIONS of dollars were saved in lawsuits and fines that were prevented by the actions of the...
"Messenger." (DOCUMENT) Vossler Notification to P1 (NOTE: Numerous notifications were sent to Apollo Global with ZERO response) Grey Finney
… But, no room in the company and no compensation for his efforts, lost income, and contributions.
15. Other unethical conduct brought to the attention of ADT are:
(1) ADT had a program by which they provided a guarantee of income for several months on a declining basis above the base salary for newly hired salespeople. For example, if a new hire did not generate $2,000 in commission income in a month, the company would just pay the new employee the additional $2,000. But, local managers had a better idea. Since ADT would give the new person the $2,000 anyway, if the salesperson did not make at least the $2,000, let's just say he didn't produce any new business, give the new business he did produce to another salesperson in the office who was behind in his production, and the person the production was given to can reimburse some of the money back to the new guy under the table. Problem is it is not reported properly to the IRS, distorts what ADT thinks their new hires are actually producing, and makes it look like a failing employee is succeeding.
(2) ADT measures the success an employee is having based on their activity, and they build models based on the statistics they accumulate. They measure calls made, appointments set, proposals made, presentations made, and sales resulting from that activity. The whole thing falls apart thought if the stats are not real. For example, if a salesperson is asked by managers to show that a proposal and presentation was made for CCTV every time a meeting is held for a burglary alarm system proposal, while knowing there is no chance of there really being a CCTV sale, the stats go out the window. The stats look like it takes more proposals to result in a sale than it actually takes. It will also appear that it takes more contacts to generate a sale but fewer contacts to generate a proposal. Ultimately, the accumulated statistics are meaningless. How many hours are wasted each week by employees entering fake information into COMPASS? Does ADT / TYCO management require their salespeople to participate in entering fake info into the system, and doing other unethical things, so that they can use it against them in the future? Should employees do what they know the Corporate Directives require them to do . . . or should the employees do what the local managers tell them to do in order to keep their jobs? This is what we call a "Culture of Corruption."
Hostile Workplace Environment (DOCUMENT) Stephen D. Kase
… and Age Discrimination. The employee requested that ADT find another position for the employee. ADT refused. Retaliation!
(4) When an employee is being forced to work in an environment where illegal activity and unethical conduct is taking place, and he must therefore resign under the pressure to avoid being seen as condoning such behavior, that is called …
Constructive Discharge. (DOCUMENT) See More
… Private Security Bureau of Texas Rules and Regulations prohibit a licensed Qualified Manager from remaining silent if he is aware of violations of the CODE and STATUTES. A QM could lose his license and be fined for failing to report such activities.
(5) Mr. Howard Wulforst was a manager in Coppell, Texas for P1 who was working as a Sales Manager, meeting with customers, leading sales meetings, etc., without a license to be doing so in Texas. Juliet Morphew (appears to not be currently licensed in Texas) was the Commercial Sales Manager at the same time, held a QM license, but was NOT the QM for the Coppell office. She should, however have reported the known violations. Instead, her comment to Phil was "P1 is a big company, they have people who take care of things like that, you just need to concentrate on making sales."
(6) In Texas, the occupation of "Security Consultant" is a separate LICENSE from others like Salesperson. The requirements to be a "Security Consultant" are different and more stringent. Additionally, to BE a "Security Consultant" one must be employed by a Security Company that has the added DESIGNATION of "Security Consultant Company." ADT, TYCO, & Protection One do not have the license designation and endorsement as "Security Consultant Company" and because of the way they operate would never be a "Security Consultant Company." Yet, …
ADT & PI (DOCUMENT)
… have both at times indicated that their Salespeople were "Security Consultants" thus violating Texas Code and misrepresenting themselves to the public. Document SC#2 below shows two examples of Protection One Business Cards falsely portraying Salespeople as "Security Consultants." Juliet Morphew was the Commercial Sales Manager whose license in Texas indicates that she had passed the QM test and should have known about all the violations being made in the office . . . but seemed to not be interested. Robert Kerr, P1 V.P. South Region, was also informed of all the problems in the Texas office but never responded to Phil's notifications. Phil's company, founded in 2013, WAS a "Security Consultant Company" as indicated on his company license shown here, and Phil was a properly licensed …
Security Consultant (DOCUMENT) SC#2
TEXAS OCCUPATION CODE Sec. 1702.1045. PRIVATE SECURITY CONSULTING COMPANY
A person acts as a private security consulting company for purposes of this chapter if the person:
(1) consults, advises, trains, or specifies or recommends products, services, methods, or procedures in the security or loss prevention industry;
(2) provides a service described by Subdivision (1) on an independent basis and without being affiliated with a particular service (that eliminates ADT or Protection One) or product; and
(3) meets the experience requirements established by the board.
From the "YOU CAN"T MAKE THIS STUFF UP" files:
(7) Phil went to work for ADT the second time in 2011. He had also worked for ADT in 2005. What happened there? Phil was the #1 or #2 producer in the Small Business Unit of ADT in Fort Worth, Texas from the first month. Several managers and VP's came to town for a meeting. One was interested in how Phil could be a leading producer from day one. He gave Phil his business card and asked Phil to contact him if he had any ideas about how ADT could increase production. Phil created a POWERPOINT PRESENTATION and a marketing plan he devised called "ADTargets." Phil sent the suggestion to the VP in Boca and to Manny Esmail, the Small Biz manager. Phil was out on a sales call when Manny called him and said to "drop whatever you are doing and return to the office immediately." When Phil got to the office, Phil was called into a meeting with Manny and Manny's boss. Phil was there to be reprimanded / "Written-Up" for insubordination for contacting the VP directly . . . which Phil had been invited to do. The managers accused Phil of trying to take their jobs. Phil refused to sign their form. It would be interesting to know if they forged Phil's signature to that document … since there is a history of forgery at ADT. MEsmail LIC
A few months later, Phil began medical treatment for a tumor in his jaw. While under treatment he was unable to drive or work. Manny was informed of this. After a couple weeks, Manny called Phil and told him that his lack of production was messing up Manny's production numbers so he was terminating Phil from employment with ADT! No mention of disability benefits, no contact by HR. Just …. you're fired because you aren't working because you are being treated for a tumor. Retaliation? Just a little proof that what happened in the Dallas office is not an isolated incident for ADT. Also an Illegal Termination. This production and income in Small Business, highlighting Phil's effectiveness & success and value to ADT, is exactly why Phil had applied to work in Small Business in Dallas, where he was denied the position because of his age.
THERE'S A SONG FOR THAT
A couple interesting "Marketing Plans" in the Fort Worth SB office were (1) Sales Reps were expected to spend a couple hours a week going on other companies online "Feedback Sites" and make fake complaints about the service provided by the competition. (2) Small business reps were expected to find a couple CORE prospects while working their territory . . . for FREE! (3) Phil was a commission only Small Business Salesperson in Fort Worth in 2005. He sold a company, IESI, video surveillance systems at three DFW locations. Phil was paid on all three. A couple months later, one of the sales commissions was reversed from Phil. Turns out, Rick Carroll in Dallas had the sale taken away from Phil and given to another Rep. in the Dallas office . . . who had nothing to do with the sale.
Examples of Phil's Production in 2005 with ADT (DOCUMENT) Why would a company fire this guy? Because he wouldn't compromise on Ethics, Morality, and Legality.
Phil Morris has been a leader in three industries for DECADES. Chapters 4.1 and 4.3 will cover Insurance & Energy:
Security Insurance 1 Insurance 2 Energy Why Why2 Why3
The above applied to ADT & Protection One, which were both acquired by Apollo Global and are now ADT, and ADT which became TYCO which became Johnson Controls. These violations were reported to Apollo Global, who never responded, and the Private Security Bureau of Texas, which initially responded that they had received the information but they did not respond with the information about the outcome of the investigation. In a phone call with the Bureau, an employee stated that "we are not interested in punishment but only care about bringing our companies into compliance." Why weren't they already in compliance? Why did it take an employee of the companies to bring all these violations to light?
NOTE: This information has been provided by a former employee who had actually worked for ADT/TYCO twice and Protection One twice as well. The sad thing is that it is not really that difficult to "JUST DO THE RIGHT THING!"